Epilogue > Art Forum > Art/Art - General > Is it easier to work digitally?
Topic:

Is it easier to work digitally?

[Last post]
9 posts / 0 new
sor-sandra's picture

I don't have very much expierience in digital painting because most of what I do is traditional with pencil, paper and brush...so I'm really interested in your opinion here!

jhoneil's picture

It is more convenient rather than easier.

eschulz's picture

I dont work digitally, but I can see how its a tool just like any other. If you are highly skilled it probably would take the same amount of time to complete a piece in pencil as it would in digital. Its all relative.

Digital however is more forgiving when it comes to mistakes, and you can manipulate your image much more than you can with traditional materials.

rita's picture

I would say, it is only different, like pencil is different from watercolor or pastels.
When you know the basics of painting (composition, color theory...) then you only need some practice for digital art.
Looking through some tutorials may help a lot.
Digital work has ONE big advantage: you always can change easily...
Give it a try and see how you like it

pooky's picture

I personally prefer working in traditional media (pencil, pen and ink, and I'm currently getting into Prismacolor markers), but digital media is fun to use once you get to learn it. It's definitely fun to experiment, there are a lot of neat techniques and tricks you can use to create interesting effects, plus, as others have pointed out, it's really awesome to know that you can try something new and just undo it if you don't like it. It's also nice to be able to use the layer tools to experiment or work on specific parts of the painting without affecting others. Another advantage is that you won't have to continuously buy extra art supplies, like canvas or paints or brushes. Smile

There's a bit of a learning curve, especially if you've never used a tablet before, but I think it's definitely worth trying out. If not for the fact that I spend my entire working day in front of a computer, I'd probably do it more. As it is, I find it more relaxing to work with my pencils and markers when I have time to do so.

rouncer's picture

digital collage is the big way to cheaty your way through all the texture and detail, you get the job done really quickly and you wonder if youve just spoilt yourself and art itself, digital collage is kinda a naughty word to me. so my vote is digital is WAY easier.

rouncer's picture

[doublepost]

matrix13777's picture

YES

matrix13777's picture
Quote:

digital collage is the big way to cheaty your way through all the texture and detail, you get the job done really quickly and you wonder if youve just spoilt yourself and art itself, digital collage is kinda a naughty word to[url=http://web.maksnik.com]Белорусь[/url]me. so my vote is digital is WAY easier.

Art at its best.